Britain said it will begin trialing
driverless cars on motorways for the first time in 2017, as it moves toward its goal of allowing autonomous cars to take
to the streets by 2020.
The government said last year there were no legal barriers to the technology being tested and gave the go-ahead for vehicle trials to start on some local roads.
Reuters reported that Finance minister George Osborne will announce plans on Wednesday to test vehicles on motorways and say the government will bring forward proposals to remove regulatory barriers to the technology, the Treasury said.
“Naturally we need to ensure safety, and that’s what the trials we are introducing will test,” Osborne said in a statement ahead of his annual budget presentation.
“If successful, we could see driverless cars available forsale and on Britain’s roads, boosting UK jobs and productivity.”